General Password Reset Issues

Hello all… I’m seeing several customers every week that have issues resetting their passwords. I can never recreate the problem on my end and can even use their reset codes to successfully reset the passwords for them. Have you seen this? Do you have any tips to help customers successfully self-reset their passwords?

1 Like

Hey John, does your gut say it’s more of UX problem or a compatibility problem?

We’ve had a few users report the same issue, but have yet to see it happen “in the wild.”

My gut says it’s a UX problem. Whenever I test or try to help the customers I open the site in a guest, incognito, private type mode. So I know I’m not picking up any auto-fill or cookies. Then once I confirm with the customer that I can login I ask them to do the same and try opening in a new browser or private mode. Unfortunately I only get a “thanks” after they’ve gotten into their members area so I can’t truly confirm what the issue was on their end. But all indicators are that there wasn’t any actual technical or compatibility issue.

1 Like

We just setup an account with User Testing, so I’ll make sure we test this more thoroughly going forward.

1 Like

We have been having a lot of issues related to password resetting as well. We ported over our logins from another website (wix) and everyone was required to reset there password.

The conclusion we are coming to is that the browser currently auto fills the “Reset Code” with there email. After reminding them to remove there email and then insert the code in the top and there new password in the bottom two, it has resolved the issue several times and has consistently worked.

Is there a way to fix this? The issue being the browser auto filling the email where the reset code needs to be.

1 Like