MemberStack.io

"Pre-Launch" Memberships - Accept credit cards but don't charge until later

1. Please build something that lets me…

I’d love the ability to begin accepting credit cards now (in time for the holiday season) for a membership that will begin in 2020 — but I’d love for everybody to not be charged until the membership actually begins.

A great example of this is how Disney is setting up their new Netflix competitor. You can check it out at https://preview.disneyplus.com/.

It allows you to sign up today — but not get charged until they officially launch.

You could presumably offer a discount for those who sign up before launch day.

1. This is important to me because…

This allows me to start accepting sign-ups before the end of the year — in a season when people are still spending money. (January and February have historically been lower-spending months.)

This also lowers the barrier of entry.

1. My current workaround is…

I would consider launching at a very very low rate and then raising the rate — or unfortunately just use an email sign-up and try to sell the membership to people in a few months.

Thanks for your consideration!

1 Like

I’ve heard this request several times now for a few different use cases. Thanks for sharing that link! It makes it really clear what you want to do, and why you want to do it.

I started on a “hacky” way to accomplish this… here’s a link to the prototype. https://paying-website.webflow.io/signup

I’ll follow up once I’ve had a chance to consult with @belltyler

There are still some “unknowns” but there’s a chance we can make something like this work with a bit of custom code :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

This looks amazing, Duncan! This seems like a perfect fit.

Can I edit some of the copy on the payment pop-up? (Instead of saying “Reserve my 7 Day Free Trial on February 2020” say something else?)

1 Like

Yup! I’m overriding the existing text with a bit of CSS. Once I know this works, I’ll post the code here :smiley: I just need to confirm the $0.01 membership doesn’t actually create a charge or cost anything in Stripe.

Just confirmed! There’s no charge created in Stripe. The only issue… an invoice is created for $0.01 and applied as a debt to the account.

When you upgrade everyone to the $7.00/mo plan they’ll actually get charged $7.01. Unless you manually apply a credit to everyone’s accounts to offset the additional 1-5 cents that have accumulated in their accounts :sweat_smile: I feel like you’d have to, or discount everyone’s accounts by a few cents, so the earliest signup would pay $7/mo and everyone else would pay $6.95 + a few cents.

This code will need to go in the header of the site and get removed when the “real” subscription begins.

<style>
.ms-checkout-pricing-wrapper:before {
	content:"$7/mo";
}
.ms-checkout-price {
	display: none !important;
}
.ms-checkout-plan-duration:after {
	content:" in February 2020";
}
.ms-checkout-button {
    color: transparent !important;
    font-size: 0px !important;
    min-height: 60px !important;
}
.ms-checkout-button:after {
    content: "Reserve my trial for February 2020";
    color: #fff;
    font-size: 15px;
}
.ms-portal-plan-price:after {
    content: "$0.00";
    font-size: 14px;
    color: black;
}
.ms-portal-plan-price {
    font-size: 0px !important;
color: transparent !important;
}
 div#billingHistory {
    display: none;
}
</style>

There’s probably some other downsides that I’m missing, but it seems like this might actually work!