Require a credit card with a free trial

Are you able to change the trial signup flow so people have to put their CC in before their trial?

I’d rather not have to chase them down once their trial expires.

If you’re going to keep t in the same way - maybe you can have a . “when trial ends” webhook or trigger?

1 Like

You can’t change the signup flow yet, but it’s on the roadmap.

What’s your current trial period? If it’s 30 days, I recommend giving folks a free month coupon in place of a free trial. At least until we can give you the option to require a credit card.

I would also really appreciate this addition!

2 Likes

I just wanted to check whether there was any update on this @DuncanHamra @belltyler?

I saw the workaround for a similar issue here, but I’m unclear on how you ‘upgrade’ a membership plan without requiring a user to go in manually and change their plan themselves.

As far as I can see, you can’t change any pricing details of a membership, nor add a member to a membership.

Do other MS users have a workaround for how they are asking users to input a credit card as part of the trial?

Just wondering whether you saw this @belltyler @DuncanHamra?

1 Like

No updates yet. Thanks for following up :+1:

Thanks Duncan.

I just stumbled across a workaround though…

If you add a coupon for a 100% off but only set it for ‘1 billing cycle’, this has the same effect, right?

1 Like

Perfect! Assuming your free trial and billing interval are the same (30 day trial, monthly membership) then this is a solid work around for now.

Real free trials + credit cards are on the roadmap.

1 Like

Yup, got it.

Ideally the free trial would be less than the billing period, but as an interim solution this could work.

Do you have an ETA for when you think real free trials will be live?

2 Likes

No ETA yet. Although, it’s likely we’ll only offer free trials + credit cards outside of the EU to start.

SCA is a bear when it comes to collecting payment info for free trials.

Hey,

Just to let you know that for the project I’m working for we would have loved to be able to require a card for the free trial.

Thank you,
Olivier

2 Likes

Hi guys,

Almost 6 months later - this would be REALLY useful.

1 Like

We’ve tried a few times, but always run into massive problems caused by SCA. Will update when we have meaningful progress :+1:

Maybe a simpler hack @duncan would be offering a $1 trial? I don’t see a way to offer a trial for a discounted rate and then do regular billing?

2 Likes

@mrimpossible

:triangular_flag_on_post::triangular_flag_on_post: [Idea sent to roadmap] :triangular_flag_on_post::triangular_flag_on_post:

1 Like

Yeah, I’ll toss my hat in the ring to this being insanely critical to us here in the US. I was under the impression that it asked for a card on trial based on the test mode asking for it, but once we published the plan, saw it was missing. Anybody else have workarounds as of this moment?

As a sidenote, how currently would a trial convert to a paid account? Does an admin have to manually collect payment details from a subscriber to add it to the profile?

The 1$ trial is exactly what I am looking for.

Any update on ETA for this? I want to offer $1 two week trial for my yearly subscription if possible.

pinging @DuncanHamra :slight_smile:

1 Like

@DuncanHamra, Is this available for outside the EU yet?

Any updates in general?

Thanks! :slight_smile:

Hey folks! We recently announced that it is now officially possible to add Credit Cards as required during a free trial. You can find this option within any Paid Membership plan that you create or setup.

Cheers! :grin: